Thursday, August 16, 2012

Anchovy Dressing

This is my take on a Provencal salad dressing with anchovies. It goes well with salad greens of any kind, from bland boston lettuce to spinach. In Provence we ate it every day with mache - lamb's lettuce, or rapunzel. 

1 can of flat anchovie fillets (2 oz.)
4 cloves of garlic
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1.5 tablespoons of mustard (I prefer grainy mustard, but you can use any kind - sweet mustard works as well)
2.5 tablespoons of blasamic vinegar
1 teaspoon of soysauce
a sprinkle of black pepper
... and a jar

Peel the garlic... (I always find this annoying. Can someone peel my garlic for me, please?)

Open the can of anchovies, pour the oil in the jar and take out the fillets. Finely chop the anchovies, and mince the garlic. You can also put the garlic through a garlic crusher. I didn't have one.

Dump the anchovies and garlic in to the jar, and add the mustard.

... and the balsamic vinegar. I like a lot of acid in my dressings; if you don't, you can go easy on the vinegar. 

Add a dash of soysauce as well.

Pour in the olive oil. Add a sprinkle of pepper if you like, but the dressing is already quite pungent, with the garlic and mustard. And if you think my oil is not going in the jar, you're right. It's not comfortable juggling an iPhone and spoons of oil at the same time!

 If you feel the mustard is a bit strong, you can add a few drops of honey to sweeten things up. 

Shake the jar thoroughly. Best served with green salad; goes well with any kind of salad leaves, tomatoes (grape tomatoes in particular) and cucumbers. Be creative and let me know if you find any good combinations!

P.S. Sorry about the groggy photos. Blame Hipstamaic. I just bought the Foodie SnapPak and it kind of works and kind of doesn't work. Need some more practice to figure out how to get it right.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©2009Figs in the Sun | by TNB